Last updated on June 25th, 2020 at 11:13 pm
Last Updated on June 25, 2020 Posted by Colonial Acres Coins
Collecting coins can sometimes get a bad wrap as being difficult and maybe a little boring. However, nothing could be further from the truth. There is a lot of depth to coin collecting with a lot of interesting and unique pieces to find. Furthermore, while some of the rarest and most sought-after coins are very expensive, there are plenty of options for every budget and level of dedication.
5 Reasons You’ll Love Coin Collecting
If you want to find a hobby that you can get involved in, look no further than collecting coins. People around the world love this hobby. These are five reasons we believe that it has something for everyone:
- It’s an Old Hobby: You may think that collecting coins is a modern hobby. However, it has been popular for many centuries. People with the means have collected coins to enjoy the artistry and significance of the pieces they found. For example, Petrarch, a 14th-century poet, is believed to be one of the earliest collectors in the modern sense.
- Coins Transcend Place and Time: Coins have been used by humans for as long as we have had currency. They have been staples of trade for civilizations all over the world and dating back thousands of years. When you collect coins, you have a small connection to people from a diverse array of places and times.
- There Is a Lot of Depth: As mentioned above, there have been a lot of coins throughout history. Furthermore, some of them are very unique and rare due to limited runs or defects. This means that there is a lot of depth to the hobby. Certain coins in a run can be interesting. For example, proof coins are ones struck early in a run that is more collectible than the later coins.
- There Is a Lot of Personal Meaning: Many people get started with their collections to help them remember an international trip or commemorate a deceased family member. Some of the best coins for collection have little monetary value but substantial sentimental value. Coin collecting can be a very personal experience.
- Collections Can Be Valuable: Many hobbies involve you spending a lot of money to help pass your time. While some coins can be expensive, they are often valuable. You are purchasing a collection of assets that will not only maintain its value but that may even appreciate it. That is a better use for your money than many other hobbies.
This hobby is thriving in many places and there is great competition for some of the most desirable coins. Of course, there are also less competitive coins that can be equally rewarding for the right collector. In short, there is something for everyone to enjoy from the beginner to the serious investor.
How To Get Started With Collecting Coins
Getting started with coin collecting is easy. All you need is a coin you find interesting. In fact, many people get started by chance when they receive an unusual or old coin. These are some popular coins to collect that can serve as a starting point:
- 50 U.S. State Quarters
- Gold and Silver Maple Leaf Series Coins
- Liberty Seated Dollars
- Proof Coins (Early Coins in a Run)
- Morgan Dollars
- Peace Dollars
There is something for everyone to collect. No matter whether you have a huge budget or none at all, you can find coins that you find interesting. Sometimes the best finds are the ones that you happen across completely organically.
Explore the Colonial Acres Coins Collection
Check out the Colonial Acres Coins selection. Our catalogue includes a diverse array of collectible coins. For example, check out our Canada proof silver dollars. Start your collection today.