Last updated on February 27th, 2023 at 12:08 pm
Last Updated on February 27, 2023 Posted by Colonial Acres Coins
Every year, the Mint releases a variety of commemorative and collector coins that are intended for enthusiasts and will never be used in circulation. Typically, these coins’ face values are irrelevant. However, the Royal Canadian Mint has occasionally released commemorative coins for their face values. As part of this series, the 2015 Royal Canadian Mint releases included five must-have coins.
The Face Value Series
Typically, when the Royal Canadian Mint (or any other mint) releases a commemorative coin, it is available for a price above its face value (its stamped value as currency), sometimes significantly more. These coins continue to trade on the collector market with the face value serving as little more than a floor for the potential values.
While this is a normal part of coin collecting, it does mean that many desirable collector coins are difficult to afford for a lot of people. To address this, the Royal Canadian Mint has released a special series of commemorative coins that were available at their face value. This series is often referred to as the $20 for $20 series (there are also $25 for $25, $50 for $50, $100 for $100, and $200 for $200 coins).
While these coins may not have the special features and exclusive materials of some high-value collectors’ coins, they are just as beautiful and collection-worthy as most other commemorative coins. Plus, they help to make coin collecting more accessible than ever, which is a very admirable quality.
The Five Face Value Collector Coins From 2015
Between 2011 and 2015, there were 20 coins released in the face value series that was intended to be a special set of $20 for $20 and $25 for $25 coins. The final release of five coins in 2015 had some especially exciting items. These are the series entries from that year:
- Canadian Flag: The first $25 for $25 coin in the set, this beautiful piece features a colourful Canadian Flag on the reverse. The flag is flying from a maple tree and is surrounded by a pattern of maple leaves.
- FIFA Women’s World Cup: In 2015, Canada hosted the FIFA Women’s World Cup. To help mark this, the RCM released a special coin. It features a female player kicking a ball in front of a beautiful and fantastical design. It captures the excitement and energy of the top tournament in women’s soccer.
- Bugs Bunny: A Looney Tunes staple, Bugs Bunny has made many generations of Canadians laugh. For this coin, Warner Brothers provided a whimsical image that perfectly evokes Bugs’ smile-inducing manner.
- Superman: DC Comics’ Superman is one of the most recognizable fictional characters in the world. The 2015 coin features a retro version of the Man of Steel. It is the perfect coin for anyone who loves superheroes or has ever been in awe at the abilities and character of Clark Kent.
- Gingerbread Man: Gingerbread men are a wonderful wintertime treat. On this coin, the fun and playfulness of the holiday season are evoked by a gingerbread man sliding down a snowy hill. He is carrying a candy cane and spraying snow in front of him as he slides.
These coins along with the others from the previous years could be collected in a commemorative display case. For people who enjoy the feeling of gathering a complete set, this is the perfect coin collecting option.
Find Your Ideal Coins Today
Colonial Acres Coins has a large selection of commemorative coins from the Royal Canadian Mint and other countries. Check out our catalogue today and find the perfect coins for your collecting needs. Whether you want something eye-catching or something a little simpler, we have you covered. Plus, coins can make great gifts for loved ones. Place your order today.