The holidays are all about food, family, fun and gifts. It’s not just receiving gifts, it’s giving gifts specifically chosen for our loved ones. We give presents at the holidays for many reasons, but probably the most important thing is that we make people feel special with our gifts. It’s a way to let them know they are loved. Even shoppers who don’t like shopping often don’t mind as much through the holiday season. Whether you’re celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or the winter solstice, the Royal Canadian Mint has some great options for your loved ones. Here’s why coins and the 2021 Canada Holiday Gift Set with Special Loon Dollar are the way to celebrate the season.
Coins Are a Special Way to Commemorate the Holidays
In ancient Rome, Caesar Augustus gave “old coins” as gifts for Saturnalia. Pope Paul II collected ancient coins in the fifteenth century. Johnny Cash collected Greek and Roman coins. Coin collecting was once thought to be for historians, but coins have many practical applications as gifts.
- Coins don’t depreciate, making them a great investment.
- Special coins are more personal than just giving a monetary gift.
- The recipient won’t forget who gave him or her that special gift.
- A precious coin can demonstrate how special the recipient is to you.
- Coins last for a long time and can be passed down as part of an inheritance.
- Coins from special years remind us of special times.
If you don’t know what to get the person who has everything, special coin sets can be the ideal solution. Coins are a great way to learn more about history, finance, the economy and art. The artists who design the coins have to be meticulous to make the design fit the small surface of a coin. In Canada, the coins reference animals and historical events that are near and dear to our hearts. Want to get your grandson interested in boats? Start by looking at dimes with the Bluenose Schooner. Does your daughter love nature? Nickels and quarters feature two of Canada’s most beloved wild animals, the beaver and the caribou. Got an Anglophile in your life? Start a collection of coins from over the years that showcase how Elizabeth II has been portrayed.
What’s Included in the Holiday Gift Set?
The 2021 holiday gift set comes in a special 5-coin card that can be dropped in the mail or given as a gift under the tree. The envelope has a fun holiday design, and the card features a snowman with a purple hat and red scarf for holiday cheer. It comes with five coins:
- $2 coin with the polar bear on the reverse. The obverse has Elizabeth II.
- $1 coin specially designed for the holidays. The mittens and snowflakes are descriptive of the season. As with all Canadian money, Elizabeth II is on the obverse. This coin is only available in this set.
- 25-cent coin with the caribou.
- 10-cent coin with Bluenose schooner.
- 5-cent coin with beaver.
The coins included in this set are uncirculated and protected in a blister inside the card.
The holiday set for 2021 is labelled “Peace and Joy” or “Paix et Joie.” Considering the past two years, we could all use a little more peace and joy in our lives. This set is not specific to Christmas or any other holiday. If a holiday-themed set doesn’t quite suit your gift recipient, Colonial Acres has many other gift sets that can fit any theme you want. Our gift sets are nicely packaged, easy to ship across the country and easy to display or store.
Shop for Canadian coins for sale to find the perfect gift for the holidays.