Last updated on June 25th, 2020 at 04:47 pm
Last Updated on June 25, 2020 Posted by Colonial Acres Coins
There are coins that are nice-looking, there are ones that are unique and incredibly valuable, and then there are specimens that can be said to be truly out of this world. If this last category is what you’re currently looking to get your hands on, then you’re in luck. The Canadian Royal Mint has seen to it that every coin collector out there has an opportunity to get their hands on an actual piece of meteorite from outer space by simply investing in yet another truly otherworldly and eye-catching RCM coin piece. Here’s everything you need to know about the 2018 Canada $20 150th Anniversary of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada.
How Did This Coin Come to Be?
There is plenty to be said about a coin piece that contains an actual fragment from a meteorite. After a lifetime of being fascinated by all things interstellar, the coin was designed by research scientist and Vancouver-based artist Alexandra Lefort. Each of the 5,500 coins minted holds a chunk of meteorite embedded in them that come from the Campo del Cielo meteorite field in Argentina. In addition to this coin, Lefort is also credited with designing the 2016 commemorative coin for the mint that honoured Roberta Bondar – the first woman astronaut in Canada.
What’s So Special About This Particular Coin?
Aside from the fact that it holds an actual meteorite fragment from outer space, this coin also celebrates and commemorates the 150th anniversary of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada. The Society has served faithfully for a century and a half, and has nurtured the curiosity and passion of both career astronomers and individuals who were fascinated by what lies beyond the stars. There is no better way to celebrate this important historical milestone than holding in your hands this remarkable coin, complete with a genuine, bonafide meteorite fragment from the cosmos.
What Kind of Special Features Does This Coin Incorporate?
- High visual appeal on this limited collectible piece – if you share a passion for astronomy, the uniquely stunning design of this coin is sure to resonate with you.
- Truly unique pieces all around – no two coins are similarly alike because no two meteorite pieces resemble one another.
- A PIONEER of the RCM – boasting a full colour image, this coin depicts a pioneering and exceptionally unique scene never before seen on any other Royal Canadian Mint coin.
- A true celebration of the scientific spirit of Canada – Essentially the leading association of both amateur and professional astronomers in Canada, the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada continues to remain dedicated to the advancement of astronomy.
- Your personal and unique piece of meteorite – each of the fragments on the coins come from a meteorite mass that likely made impact some 4,500 years ago. This is a unique opportunity to own an alien piece of our very own solar system.
Interested in Getting a Hold of This Unique Coin Piece For Your Collection? Check Out Colonial Acres
When it comes to coins minted by the Canadian Royal Mint, there are some pretty unique pieces out there that are one of a kind because of their design, shape, composition, level of detail and pretty much any other criterion one can think of. But to have in your possession a coin that incorporates an actual meteorite fragment is a first even for the RCM. If you’re looking to add this incredible coin to your collection, head down to Colonial Acres Coins. Colonial Acres is home to not only incredibly rare and valuable coin pieces, but also a team of expert and professional numismatists who don’t mind going out of their way to provide advice and information alike. Head down to Colonial Acres today and enrich your collection with truly astonishing (and out of this world) coin specimens.