Last updated on March 25th, 2021 at 03:21 am
Last Updated on March 25, 2021 Posted by Colonial Acres Coins
Despite the penny no longer being in circulation, the Royal Canadian Mint has decided to create a unique set to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of Canada. Canada’s 150th Anniversary coins are being created by the Mint to honour the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation and the Legacy of the Penny Five-Coin Set is included in the new coin creations. With a mintage of only 3,000, the coin set is sure to be a hot collector’s item.
Unique Coin Set
The Royal Canadian Mint has decided to go back in time and replicate the designs of the 1 cent coin from its first striking in 1908 to create this unique collector’s set. In the set, you will find two 2-ounce coins and three 1-ounce coins, each commemorating the 150th anniversary but also a past design.
Below is info on each coin in the set:
- Small Leaves Design (1908)—created with 99.99% pure silver and includes selective rose gold plating. The proof finish includes a design by George W. DeSaulles. This coin features the vine-like wreath design of 16 maple leaves.
- Small leaves design (1911)—created with 99.99% pure silver and selective rose gold plating, this proof has a design by W.H.J. Blakemore on the reverse and the obverse has a design by Sir E.B. MacKennal.
- Two maple leaves design (1920)—also consisting of 99.99% pure silver and selective rose gold plating, this coin is a proof with a reverse design by Fred Lewis and obverse by Sir E.B. MacKennal.
- Centennial design (1967)—this coin has the same composition as the rest and comes in proof form. The obverse side was designed by Arnold Machin while the reverse was designed by Alex Colville, featuring the famous rock dove.
- Maple twig design (1982)—the last coin in the collection, also made with the same composition as the rest. This proof has an obverse design by Arnold Machin and a reverse image created by G.E. Kruger-Gray. This coin has a unique 12-sided design.
Beautiful Packaging for Display
If you or someone you know is an avid penny collector, this is one collection set that should not to be missed. The coin set has been packaged in a lovely wood collector’s case with a black beauty box which easily makes the set ready for display. Choose to display the box open so that visitors can examine each coin and admire their unique design or keep closed for safe keeping until you wish to share your collection with others.
This is just one of the unique sets created by the Royal Canadian Mint for the 150th Anniversary celebrations.
At Colonial Acres, we want to help you with your coin collection. Let us help you find rare coins to add to your new collection or we can help you find those sought-after coins you have a hard time locating. We offer the best services in the industry and are ready to assist you with your coin collection. Take a look at our website to see all the services we provide.