Last Updated on July 13, 2023 Posted by Colonial Acres Coins
If you’re looking for a new hobby that is both exciting and rewarding, consider starting a coin collection. Numismatics, the study and collection of coins, has been gaining popularity in recent years and with good reason. Whether you enjoy the thrill of finding a specific coin to complete a collection or like to learn about history and economics from coins, collecting coins is a rewarding hobby. But where do you start? Here are some basic tips on how to get started with a coin collection.
Collecting Canadian Coins or World Coins
The Royal Canadian Mint, a commercial Crown corporation, is tasked with the production and distribution of all circulation coins within Canada. In addition to releasing coins that are used as currency, the RCM also releases specialty collectible coins that commemorate history, nature, special events and more. For example, this $10 coin was just released to honour King Charles’ cypher and the coronation which took place on May 6, 2023.
Canadian coins are a popular choice, as they offer a rich history and a variety of designs to choose from. On the other hand, World coins can be a fascinating option for those who are interested in exploring the diverse cultures and traditions of different countries. Whichever path you choose, the key to a successful coin collection is to take your time, conduct research, and invest in quality materials to keep your coins in top condition.
Historical Coins or New Releases
Coins make learning history fun. Whether you’re drawn to historical coins, brimming with stories from the past, or captivated by the intricate designs of new releases, each piece offers a unique glimpse into the world of numismatics. This fascinating hobby not only enriches your understanding of history and culture but also provides an opportunity to own a piece of it.
- There are many interesting and rare ancient coins like these Roman coins that are from Biblical times. The coins were minted by procurators (governors) of Judea under Roman rule.
- Canadian bank tokens tell the history of finance in Canada. These coins were issued by banks, businesses, or colonial governments before Canada became united as a country.
- The Royal Canadian Mint releases new coins each year commemorating historical events, and these are fun to collect as well. This 6-coin set that was recently released commemorates Canadian icons, the maple leaf, a polar bear, a hockey skate, a canoe, a beaver, a moose and more. It would make a nice starter set for someone born or married in 2023.
Coin collecting for beginners often starts with a themed coin that isn’t out in circulation. The RCM regularly releases many specialty-themed coins that can be fun to collect. Here are a few coins that could pique your interest.
- Royal Family –the British Royal Family has been a favourite among coin collectors. There are many coins released over the years to learn more about like this 2011 $15 silver coin which honours His Royal Highness Prince William. You might even enjoy looking for older coins that feature King George VI or even Queen Victoria.
- Holidays & Gift Sets – The Royal Canadian Mint releases special gift sets each year. These sets include a specially struck $1 coin with a unique design related to the event (such as a birthday or the birth of a child). We have a large selection of Canadian gift sets to choose from.
- Sports – these coins are perfect for that sports fan in your life. It is the perfect way to remember the exhilaration of your favourite sports,, like this coin from 1997 that commemorates the 25th anniversary of the 1972 Canada/Russia hockey series.
- Nature – Do you enjoy birdwatching or seeing wildlife in their habitat? This 5-coin set features different songbirds in Canada. There is also a wide selection of coins that feature Canada’s great wildlife.
- Disney – If you are a Disney fan there are many coins to choose from for your new collection. Collect coins that showcase the best of Disney, like this $2-coin that remembers The Lion King.
Proof Sets and Commemorative Coin Series
Starting a collection of commemorative or proof coins offers a unique way to celebrate significant events, personalities, or milestones in history. Often struck with meticulous detail and craftsmanship, these coins have a limited mintage, so once they’re gone, they can be difficult to find.
Keep it Fun and Enjoyable
We hope these coin-collecting tips help you start a coin collection that can be enjoyed and passed down to family members. You can make memories searching for coins together and learning more about art, history and economics while sorting coins. Numismatics is a stress-free hobby that anyone can love. Start shopping with Colonial Acres Coins to start your collection today.